Sunday 1 August 2010

Racing


It continues...

Yesterday was my last day at altitude, coming down from Chamonix and heading to London via Geneva. Here in London for 10 days before I fly back out to Canada for the rest of the year.

Last weekend was my first of a busy 15 day schedule with 4 races packed in. After landing in London yesterday afternoon this morning was race 3, the Nokia Thames Open Water Swim. 3.8km from the famous Hampton Court Palace to (also the famous) Richmond upon Thames. Pretty cool course but as it was the Thames I was (and still am) worried about picking up some kind of stomach bug from the water. So lots of Coke to kill the Ecoli and whatever else is floating around in there.

So the race...I knew there was a point to this.

It was pretty cool as I had been given race number 1, first time ever, so wanted to take it out hard, even if I didn't win, just to show I had somehow earned the number. Had a cracking start, straight out in front. Was kicking pretty hard and given I had a gap I just kept kicking...and kept kicking...and kicking.

Didn't look back as I was convinced someone was gonna fly past at any minute and just kept pushing. Put in a big surge at around 3km which was tough but it paid off. Won by over 2 minutes setting a new course record of 42 minutes, managed to beat Richard Stannard again as well, twice in a season...with another show down next weekend.

Really enjoying racing right now, finding some good form which is fun and looking forward to next weekend.

Mike






No comments: