Thursday 9 September 2010

Vancouver triathlon

Ah my favourite race of the year.

The past 2 years, 2008 (here) and 2009 (here), have both been cracking days and it has quickly become the most anticipated race on the calendar. This year did not disappoint, my first win as a senior in triathlon, woo.

Since my last race I've been down with fatigue issues (long long season this year) and even the day before the race I was feeling ill. Race morning and it was lashing with rain, biblical amounts of rain. Headed down to Stanley park around 6am to get set up and ready for race start at 7.

All the speed theory crew were there along with my room mate Gord, fellow UBC Mech Engineers Kelvin (biggest cheerer in the world) and Tetzel and of course my trusted assistant for the day Liz Akeroyd (best person to have along at your race for sure).

The tide was out in the bay so I had a good 100m of 30 cm deep water to get through before I could get going. This unfortunately meant there was a nice band of barnacles to run across before I set off (VERY sliced up feet/hands). Thankfully the water was so cold I quickly lost feeling in my extremities and suffered no in race pain on my cut up hands/feet.

2 lap swim, 20 second lead over the first 750m and held that until we were out, Derek was the fish behind me but luckily I had managed to put 2.10 and 4.30 into my 2 biggest chasers.

Bike was tough, just pouring rain the whole way, but I felt good, legs were firing well and I pushed on. Into T2 with a 90 second lead (4th fastest bike split).

The run was crazy. I have never felt so good in my life on a run. Legs were turning over well, the cold wasn't bothering me too much and I just continued striding out.

I knew guys were catching me and presumed I'd get caught, but once I was into the 2nd lap I knew I still had a good gap so pushed hard. At the 7.5km (small out and back) I saw the gap was holding and the race was mine for the taking. The last 2km I was sprinting, or at least it felt like a sprint.

Across the line in 1.59:56, 36:48 run split, 2nd fastest run of the day.

A memorable day for my first win as a senior, was awesome to have my friends there cheering me on as well.

It's been a long year and certainly my toughest as an athlete. I am now looking forward to my final race of the year in LA on October 3rd, maybe after that I can take some down town and chill out for a while ... maybe.

Keep training,

Mike

No comments: