Wednesday 16 September 2009

HOME

Back in Scotland.

For a few months too, at least until next spring, when I graduate with my degree in Mechanical Engineering. So with a good 6 month stint ahead of me in Scotland I've got plenty of time to reflect on the past year, plan for the winter months, plan for the 2010 season and beyond.

I am still in a bit of a daze as I sit in my old bedroom, half unpacked, the last 15 months worth of mail sitting unopened on my desk and plenty of new kit strewn over my bed looking for a place to go. It looks as if it will be another 2 weeks till I start classes, that will probably mark the kick off of training heading into the winter also. Can't wait to see my schedule and how it will compare to what I was doing in Van last year, being able to live on campus made life so much easier in terms of training, with no travel time between "home" and classes. This year could be interesting.

I am half considering cycling to class each day (80minutes return) but that raises the question of how do I get my books there? will they just be junk miles? will I smell all day? so even now I'm talking myself out of it! I guess I won't know much more until I see my timetable, but I'm really looking forward to sitting down with el coach and planning out the next 6 months.

Settling back into "family life" will no doubt take a while too, after having been my own boss over the past year I'll slowly get used to allowing my mum to run the show. That said I won't be around too much with training, class and the weekends away, but it will still be nice to have clean clothes and food made for me ... gotta love home :)

Enjoying a few weeks off as we speak, got a lot of recovery planned with my physio starting tomorrow, hopefully will get me back to fighting fit for the start of full winter training. Spending plenty of time out and about though, last week I ran up Grouse mountain twice, rode my bike for a few hours and spent all day Saturday kayaking, this week will be a bit more relaxed but mum has a 3 hour walk planned for the morning!

Mike

No comments: